Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Garden Season Officially Opened


Photo of the Elemental Garden, Summer 2007

After much anticipation...waiting, and waiting for the weather to change and my blood to warm up...Spring Has Arrived in PA and I am now working almost full time outside. I started a few days ago, but my body went into major retaliation. After basically laying dormant the past few months, each muscle loudly protested the spring baptism into manual labor. But now, with 3 days under my belt, things are under better control.

So here's the scoop, we have 10 major beds surrounding our property that need to be cleaned out, spruced up, and worked. In addition to that there is my treasured Elemental Garden, started last year, two long stretches of what we call tiger country, and a golf green. All of this is nestled onto one acre of land.

My goal is to move away from the traditional lawn and into a naturescape...to work with the land to grow food, herbs, spices, flowers, fruits, and natural habitat for all the critters that reside in our neighborhood. So in the upcoming season most of this blog will be devoted to the adventures of planting these seeds for change. It is a daunting task, but a definite labor of love.

I will be adding photos of what is being done as well as commentary along the way. We work organically...to fertilize, to correct imbalances, to build a healthy soil. I also like to use sound environmental practices for the hardscape...using recycled materials as much as possible, and to keep the costs manageable.

Hope you will stop by and visit on occasion to see what is new and developing in the daily adventures of Gardening with Seeds for Change! Well off to work, see you in a bit!
And here is the rest of it.

No comments: